The Senior Living Search: Key Questions for Making an Informed Choice
Moving into a senior living community is a significant life change that can be extremely time-consuming and emotional for seniors and their families. Whether for yourself or a loved one, you want to ensure the community meets all your needs and provides the best possible care before you commit to moving.
About senior living
If you’re just starting your search, there is a lot to know about senior living. There are different types of communities, care options, services, and amenities. According to the National Center For Assisted Living, there are approximately 30,000 assisted living communities in the United States alone. The sheer number of options can make finding and choosing the right community stressful and overwhelming.
That’s why it’s essential to set up tours of several communities and ask the right questions before deciding.
Key questions to ask in your senior living search
Here are some key questions to ask to help you make an informed choice when searching for a senior living community.
What is your philosophy of care?
Different senior living communities have different philosophies of care. For example, some communities may be more care-driven; some focus on an active lifestyle, while others focus on health and well-being.
Make sure you understand the community’s philosophy of care and ensure it aligns with your needs and expectations.
Ask the following questions to ensure the people caring for and interacting with your loved one are professional, experienced, and compassionate.
- Do you perform background checks?
- Is your staff trained to look for and report elder abuse or neglect?
- What are your education requirements for staff?
- What is your turnover rate?
- What is your staff-to-resident ratio?
Safety and security questions
The safety and security of residents should be evident during your senior living tour. Look for safety features like emergency pull cords, wearable alert buttons, fire alarms, grab bars in bathrooms, walk-in showers, and automatic night-time lighting. Ask the following questions:
- What is your emergency response protocol?
- Do you have 24/7 onsite care staff?
- How is the community secured?
- How are loved ones notified in the event of an incident?
Services and amenities questions
Senior living communities vary regarding the services and amenities offered to their residents.
You or your loved one will want access to services and amenities that will ensure your stay is comfortable, convenient, and fun.
Check out some of the amazing services and amenities enjoyed by residents of Allegro Senior Living communities.
- Movie theater
- Pool and hot tub
- Dancing classes
- Hair and nail salon
- Fitness center and yoga studio
- Mini putt course
- Bar and bistro
- Nature paths
- Entertainment and game room
- Housekeeping and laundry services
- Assistance with personal care such as bathing, dressing, and grooming
Questions related to living spaces
Make sure the senior living community you choose can accommodate your living preferences by asking the following:
- What floor plans are available?
- Are apartments furnished? Do I have the option of bringing my furniture?
- Can residents personalize and decorate their own living spaces?
- Do you offer move-in services?
- Is the temperature controllable?
- What upgrades are available?
Questions related to cost
Cost is among the most important concerns for families looking for senior living communities. The cost of living can vary depending on the level of care, amenities, and location.
It’s essential to understand the costs associated with the community and any additional fees that may apply. Be sure to ask the following questions:
- Do you have a monthly or à la carte cost structure?
- What are your billing and payment policies?
- What services are included in the monthly fee?
- Do you offer any financial assistance programs?
- Are there any move-in specials available?
- What services are not covered?
- Is there a deposit? Is it refundable?
Although moving to senior living is difficult, researching and asking the right questions can help you make an informed decision. The right senior living community can mean a new and exciting experience for you or your loved one.
For additional information on how you or a loved one can Live Beautifully, contact one of the friendly advisors with Allegro Senior Living.